That's what it looked like at the end of Day 1 of Memory Garden construction at my cabin.
I dug up all the grass in that area and my husband helped me use a tiller to break up the soil. We found quite a few rocks and even chunks of an old asphalt driveway that used to be there before we remodeled the cabin back in 1984!
The staked out area is where I'm going to put a stone walkway, including the memory stepping stones that I made last week (see earlier post). The post is where we'll put a flagpole -- there used to be one there.
I was originally thinking about making the garden area bigger, but after digging out grass for hours on end, I decided to scale back. Wow, what an exhausting job!
Tomorrow we're going to add in manure and top soil, till it up some more and then start planting. I won't get all the plants in this weekend -- still have to get some. So it will be a gradual process over the next few weeks and possibly into next spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment