I tried a new recipe tonight and this one is definitely a hit. It tastes great, plus is loaded with protein and fiber, and not very many calories. A great substitute for potatoes or rice.
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup pearled barley (I used medium barley)
2 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium version)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup toasted almonds, crushed (I bought "Almond Accents" from the produce section. They are already slivered, toasted & flavored)
Heat olive oil in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add barley and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Pour chicken broth into the pan and bring to a boil (let it boil for a couple minutes). Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes. Remove pilaf from heat and let stand 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper and stir in almonds.
No comments:
Post a Comment