Saturday, July 28, 2007

The best of both worlds

I'm sitting at my cabin on a Saturday morning, looking out over the perfectly-still lake. It looks like a mirror with the trees from the other side of the lake reflected in the water. Just heavenly! Of course, you're probably wondering how I'm connected to the Internet. Well, we got high-speed Internet at our cabin about a month ago. Wild, huh?! A new company came into town offering service. They beam a wireless signal out of Spooner and then mount a device on your house to pick up the signal. It is faster than our DSL at home.

My husband, of course, loves it since he hates to be disconnected. It's nice for me on a day like today when I need to check in on some work stuff. It makes it possible to work and be here at the same time...something we couldn't do before.

On the one hand, I'd like to be like my grandfather who wanted this cabin to be completely disconnected to the world (my grandparents refused to put a telephone in here and we didn't get one until my grandmother died in 1983). But it's also nice to have the Internet.

A couple weeks ago we needed a recipe. Internet to the rescue! We're talking about trying to work from up here more often next summer. Perhaps drive up on a Thursday night to avoid the traffic and work from here on Friday. Sounds pretty good to me.

No comments: