Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's starting to look like a house!

The last couple of days I've finally gotten around to hanging pictures in our newly-remodeled house! After more than 9 months with bare walls, it's almost foreign to walk into a room and see something on the wall. And even better...my pictures seem almost brand new since I haven't seen them in so long! Opening the boxes and unwrapping the pictures was almost like Christmas. My husband can't quite understand my glee, but he garnered up some enthusiasm to help me hang some along the stairs -- making sure they lined up just perfectly and were evenly spaced. His attention to detail paid off, and they look fabulous. Even he admits that it does add some "personality" to the house. I told him that was exactly the right word for it. It's something I hadn't realized before.

As for the rest of the remodeling....we're down to a bunch of little stuff like: light fixtures in the dining room, mudroom and two bedrooms. Trim along some of the closets and in one bedroom. Handles on closet doors. Vanity, mirror, sink and window treatments for the half bathroom. Covers for the heating vents. Light switches and outlets to be replaced. And shelves in the basement for long-term storage.

Right now our living room is half filled with boxes of Christmas stuff and other items that belong in long-term storage. The basement is a disaster and doesn't have the shelving we really need. So we put them in the basement to free up space for installing the shelves, but that was two+ months ago and still no shelves. UGH. The scary part is that I'm sure once we do move them, I'll feel like the living room is suddenly empty without them! (Or an even scarier thought: it will be Christmas and we'll just have to unpack them instead)

No comments: