I'm not doing so hot at keeping plants alive this summer. I just said goodbye to my favorite English ivy because it got attacked by spider mites (I did take some cuttings that hadn't been affected and hope I can re-grow). This ivy was part of a set of plants my sorority sisters gave to my mother just before she died, so it's got sentimental value more than anything. But it was also the most beautiful plant I have.
And then I looked out a side window of our house, to the side of the house where we never go (it's kind of a dead end) and saw that all of the Lily of the Valley were brown. I haven't watered them all summer and it's been dreadfully dry. I hope I didn't kill them, too.
Then I decided I better water, and as I was watering a bed of hostas I noticed that something seemed wrong. I realized that two of the variegated hostas - which are my favorite - had been eaten all the way down by the damn rabbits that live in our yard! A couple other hostas are looking like they are the latest buffet for these pesky creatures. UGH.
Our grass is almost completely brown. We've barely had to mow this year. We've decided it's not worth the cost of water (not to mention the waste of water) to put out sprinklers like all our neighbors. We'd rather have brown grass. It does look a little sad, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment