Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sad day

Today marks 13 years since my Mom died. Hard to believe it's been that long. This past year has been particularly hard for me because I so wish she (and my Dad) were here to share in the joy of my twins. I wanted her advice while I was pregnant and when they were first born, but I can only believe that her advice is coming to me through my instincts -- somehow she already taught me what to do.

The other day when I was putting Maddie to sleep, she looked up at me from her crib and for just a moment she looked just like my Mom.

Of course, Ben is a daily reminder of my father, too.

I'm at the cabin this weekend by myself cleaning the place out. I intended to go out to the cemetery where my parents are buried, but by the time I started thinking about doing it, it started raining pretty hard. I'll go out there tomorrow.

I tackled lots of cupboards and closets here that have been filled with lots of junk -- plus a few valuable things -- that we just never use. So I filled a couple boxes of things we'll try to sell on eBay or craigslist, plus a half dozen or so boxes for charity and a very big pile to go straight to the dump. I can't believe how much junk there was in here!!

It has all collected here since 1984 (when my grandmother died and the cabin was remodeled) and more got added when my Dad sold our family home, and every year we add a few more things. So it was definitely time to purge. I had to make room for baby things!

Plus I'm babyproofing as I go. I moved all the cleaning supplies to upper shelves; made sure matches and tools and things like that are in upper cabinets and simply left a lot of lower-level cabinets empty.

Now it's time for a drink and a movie. Jamey's home on baby duty (calling me every couple of hours for advice!), so I get to relax for the first time in many, many months. I bet I sleep like a rock tonight.

No comments: